General Remarks...

Welcome to Lantern Forest


This blog has been created to archive the combined creative efforts of Willoughby Sprig, a folk inspired music duo from Indiana. We invite you to explore and enjoy the blog, and we hope you will check back for new posts and updates.


Friday, August 20, 2010

The Clog Fiddle Project


















This is the product of about four weeks of research and exploration in folk instrument building that I put myself through last summer. It was great fun, and I have acquired two more wooden shoes to refine this art and eventually make millions of dollars. Because everyone wants a clog fiddle and that cannot be argued.






1.It's more efficient than most shoes, being musical as well as functional (Just slip your foot through the sound hole in the top.)
2.Made from 100 percent recycled
materials
3. Women like it.



I found an image and some vague measurements of this instrument in a book at my university library, and decided that I had to have one. I have not had any experience building instruments, but have wanted to explore it for some time. The folkiness of this appealed to me and it seemed easy enough for a beginner (not having to deal with building a soundbox). This fiddle is mainly made of walnut (for the fingerboard, tailpiece and tuning pegs) cedar (for the soundboard) and maple (for the bridge and neck). The walnut is my personal favorite and is recycled from an old log cabin.

I must say that it doesn't sound particularly pretty, and there are plenty of things to change for rounds two and three.

But all in all I'm pretty proud of it, considering all I basically had was a rasp, some sand paper, a band saw, a conical gouge, a radio and a lot of spare time. Pretty good for a shoe.

I also became very addicted to NPR because of this thing. I don't think there is any kind of gum that can fix that.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to having greater success in the clog fiddle department!

-CB























1 comment: