General Remarks...

Welcome to Lantern Forest


This blog has been created to archive the combined creative efforts of Willoughby Sprig, a folk inspired music duo from Indiana. We invite you to explore and enjoy the blog, and we hope you will check back for new posts and updates.


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pen and ink drawing "A Rather Decadent Landing"


This is a drawing that I completed around the middle of June. I was reading about the Decadent Movement and Decadent Art, and an idea for an overly ornamented hot air balloon that might be owned by pompous French aristocrats popped into my head. I was also looking at drawings by Aubrey Beardsley, so there is that influence as well. The fact that there are no people in this drawing was not entirely intentional. I didn't feel like drawing a person in ink at the time, and an earlier attempt last summer at a female profile absolutely failed with embarrassing results(damn proportions!), but on further reflection, I think not having any human figures in the drawing emphasizes the extreme ornateness of the physical attributes of the scene, which is certainly a decadent theme. I might continue with this idea, portraying things from a culture that is decadent to the point of incredulity.

No comments:

Post a Comment